Monday, May 10, 2010

Go Down the Path Less Traveled.

Sometimes the path less traveled is the path that we need to take. It's scary and we haven't been down it much so it isn't easy but the more we go down the path the easier it gets. I read an article by Bruce K Fordham in the Ensign about how we think and how we can change it and it really helped me to visualize our brains and to give me hope that if I keep practicing and if I keep trying to change my negative thoughts into good thoughts that it will get easier. It's called Think About what you are Thinking about. Check it out it is a good one.

House...

One of the biggest things that has affected me lately is the fact that the only way for me to fix something is for me to be honest about it. We wanted to buy a house recently but finally had to accept the fact that it really would be better for us to wait to buy until we can save some more money and be more prepared. It was really hard because we loved the house and we really wanted it and we had to tell some friends that we wouldn't be buying their home which is a whole other hard thing for me and we had to realize that we aren't going to buy our own home for awhile. That was really hard to accept and to admit and I still am kind of sad about the house but I feel better that we did what we needed to do but I am emotionally drained today. But if I wasn't honest with myself and others I would put myself in a situation where I didn't want to have feelings at all anymore and I would stop thinking and feeling and just let life make choices for me instead and me make the choices. It was hard and it's something that I'm not used to doing.

Lessons in Progress:

#1 If I keep making my own choices and thinking for myself it will get easier and I will gain more confidence.

#2 The truth is the only way to set yourself free.

#3 Changing what we do and how we think takes a lot of work and time but it can become the path well traveled.

1 comment:

Trish said...

I think it is so important to be honest with ourselves. I find that as a couple, sometimes we talk ourselves into or out of things that might not be for the best. It sounds like you guys decided what you could handle and stuck to it. By the way, I think buying our home was the most stressful financial thing we've done. It all worked out fine, but the first couple months I think we were both wondering if we had made the right decision (and this is after I really felt that it was right.)It was also hard for me while we were in school and crammed into apartments with little kids and it seemed like everyone I went to school with had bought homes. Anyway, I think making decisions is like everything else--you learn from the good and bad ones and gain more confidence in your abilities to make good ones.